The QR-AD – a new way of banner advertising
«Double Your Audience. Talk Mobile & Web.»
UPDATE (October 7, 2011)
We are now at (September 6 – October 6):
1,112,829 Visits, 732,055 Unique Visitors, 2,854,951 Pageviews.
That’s more than 2.8 million Pageviews! (When we wrote this article back in February 2010, we had less than half a million pageviews.)
With this amazing increase, we finally had to adapt our ad prices which you can see below. We also offer now the same pricing for a leaderboard or the special QR Ad format. We definitely recommend to use the QR Ad however, as you will get more in quantity and in quality.
CPM Ad (Cost per 1000 impressions)
Leaderboard 728 × 90 or QR Ad* 840 x 180
$ 15.00 CPM
Minimum: 60’000 Impressions at $ 900
Let us now if you want to book the space for a specific geographical area or worldwide.
Or you book in advance worldwide for
2 weeks at $ 15’000
1 month at $ 25’000
Only for the United States (over 1 Mio Pageviews per month)
2 weeks at $ 7’500
1 month at $ 12’500
Other countries on request
* QR AD: We provide you with a QR Code Management Account to see the statistics of your QR Code Scans on your QR Ad.
As said, the QR Ad is not the only ad we show in the QR Ad zone, so the clicks and scans are not fully representative. But see for yourself:
For Clicks on the QR AD, see Stats made public
For Scan on the QR AD, see Stats made public
UPDATE (December 1, 2010): The increase in Page Impressions, Clicks, Scans is stunning! More information can be found here: The Non-Commercial QR Code Generator made more than 1 Mio Page Impressions this November!
UPDATE (25.7.2010): As the increase of Page Impressions is so significant – from 450’000 to 650’000 per month, I wrote a new article about it. You can find it here: The QR-Ad Data: Page Impressions, Clicks, Scans
UPDATE (15.2.2010): On our most recent campaign, we encountered significantly higher click and scan rates than discussed in the following article.
As the QR-Ad campaign is still very new however, we will not adjust the numbers yet.
However we can give you a projection. If everything continues like this, we will reach over 6000 clicks and over 2100 scans per month which gives us a CTR of 1.34%, a SCR of 0.47% and a CTR+SCR combined of 1.81%.
Click to see the QR-AD banner in real size (840x181px).
The QR-Ad, a new way of banner advertising
The QR-Ad is a new way of banner advertising, that addresses at the same time a web and a mobile audience. The results of our research show a significant increase of engagement.
The QR-Ad uses the banner format in two ways
a) as a normal banner to click, to go to a web destination page
b) as a support for a QR Code which can be scanned with a mobile phone equipped with a QR Code scanner.
The QR-Ad’s hybrid usage makes the ad more valuable
We believe that the quality of a scan is more valuable than a click, as the mobile phone is first a more intimate setting and second it’s viewer has made a bigger effort to access your page. There are also no competing windows/tabs open to divert the viewer of your message.
With an 75–80% scan2click rate (=on 100 clicks, there are 75–80 scans), you address a highly mobile audience.
COMPARISON OF COMMON CLICK-THROUGH RATES AND THE QR-Ad
In a Business Week article from November 12, 2007, it was said:
The percentage of people who respond to common “banner ads,” the ubiquitous interactive posters that run in fixed places on sites, is shrinking steadily. The so-called click-through rate for those ads on major Web destinations such as Yahoo! (YHOO ), Microsoft (MSFT ), and AOL (TWX ) declined from 0.75% to 0.27% during 2006, according to Eyeblaster, a New York-based online ad serving and monitoring firm. It says that last March the average click rate on standard banner ads across the whole Web was 0.2%. This reflects a surge in new ads and Web pages, fueled by the rise in social networks.
» QR-Ad: In comparison, we got a 0.39% click-through rate (CTR) on our QR Ad, and a significant 0.31% scan rate (SCR). Combined this brings us to 0.7%.
See here the banner and ideal QR Code size for http://qrcode.kaywa.com.
For current examples of QR Code Ad’s, go to http://qrcode.kaywa.com
On other sites, you can also use a more classic format (300×250).
QR-AD PRICING AND STATISTICS ON QRCODE.KAYWA.COM
See the new pricing here
|Top||1 Month||Euro 7000.–||450’000-0.5 Mio||2000||1400-1600|
|Top||2 Weeks||Euro 4000.–||225’000-0.25 Mio||1000||700-800|
|Top Second||1 Month||Euro 4500.–||450’000-0.5 Mio||1500||not enough data|
|Top Second||2 Weeks||Euro 2500.–||225’000-0.25 Mio||750||not enough data|
* Page Impressions, Clicks and Scans are projections based on statistics gathered during the period of December 11, 2009 till February 9, 2010.
(Top Ad Clicks: Period: 54 days, 18.12-10.2. | Source: http://bit.ly)
We need from you the following:
- Mobile Destination Page URL
- Banner (Supersize Format: 840x181px)
- Web Destination Page
- Tell us for how long and in what position (top, second top), you want to run the QR-AD. Period always start 1st of month or 16th of month. Minimum duration is 2 weeks, or 1st-15th, 16th-end of month.
- We create the QR Code, which you later can track
- Integrate the QR Code in your banner design (840x181px)
- Send us the banner ad
+ mobile destination address (URL)
+ traditional web destination address (URL)
- We send you back the statistics access for web (PI’s, Clicks) and QR Code (Scans).
- Once your QR-AD is live, you can verify your statistics anytime.
For clients starting an annual contract (PUA1Y) on our QR Code Management solution, we offer two weeks for free in second top position.
See pricing of the PUA1Y in the QR CODE Pricing Powerpoint. Dowload it here.